Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Emma reporting....

So our journey has come to an end and what a journey it has been. I have experienced and learned a lot in both my personal life and my school/career life. This place has continuously reminded me of many values that you tend to push to the side when you are at home busy with school and work. Some of these values are taking each day as it comes and living in the moment, rather than worrying about the future, as well to do what makes you happy and learn what makes you happy by communicating, listening and trying new things. Finally, the people of San Pancho have reminded me of the importance of friends and family. Everyone here is very close and would do anything for each other, it is a very supportive community. In regards to clinic, I have come to appreciate what we do as dental professionals even more than I did before. It is here that I have learned how different a healthy mouth can make people feel both physically and emotionally. People here greatly appreciate the services that we provide because it is not common practice for the locals to go for their regular dental/dental hygiene visits, in fact it has never happened for a lot of these people. I will take this experience and further understanding with me into practice and hope to improve my ability to communicate this to my future clients. Thank you to all the people of San Pancho who have provided such a rich learning experience for me.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Emma. What you learn and take away with you from your experience in San Pancho goes way beyond the provision of dental hygiene services. Among other things, to be immersed in another culture gives you a greater perspective and understanding of your own - and you can't teach that!!
    Kudos to all of you and sfe travels!

    ReplyDelete