Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Reflections...

The children here are so eager for knowledge it was wonderful to be able to share what we know about oral health and hopefully made enough impact so that the kids will have a better smile. My favourite part was when an entire class gave us all big hugs at the end of our presentation. I'm so lucky to have met these kids, and I hope we were a positive influence on what it takes to have good oral health...........................................................................  Jenna

On the first day at the primary school,  two young boys ran up to us and were showing off their muddy T-shirts, comparing who managed to get the dirtiest. This was a little different to me from the "anti-mess" kind of thinking that I have seen in Canada. For me, that incident was an important reminder to allow children to be children, to run around and play with each other and get their clothes dirty rather than sitting in front of a TV for hours.  I only saw smiling happy faces and not a single child cry or upset in all the days we have spent at the schools. Ahhmazing..................................................Maria

During our days at the school visits, I learned how difficult it has been for me to distance my emotions and to remain positive under emotionally overwhelming circumstances. To put this into context, I have had a very hard time keeping a smile on my face while working with the young children at the primary school who presented with widespread decay. This is heartbreaking to see at any age, but especially with the kids.....Danika 

Although the senior students are no longer with us for our last 2 weeks here in San Pancho, we will remember the numerous tips and coaching that they taught us throughout the time that we worked with them in clinic. I am excited to test my own skills this coming week in the hospital where we will have independent clinic time to solidify our skills..................................................... Dallas

Visiting the different schools in San Pancho has been very enlightening. The kids are engaged during all the oral health presentations and seem to be retaining the information given to them from previous years. Their answers were ready when asked about functions of teeth and methods of prevention. Although the majority of the kids still have decay, we are told that the rates have improved which means the field school have made an impact in the community...................................................... Rachelle


No comments:

Post a Comment