Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Post from Jaime...


We have completed our scheduled days at the hospital last Monday.  The days were long (and hot J) but I enjoyed every minute.  For several of the clients I saw, this was the first time they had ever seen a hygienist and had their teeth cleaned. I was amazed that they had enough trust to sit in my chair for hours; these were not easy first time appointments.  Not one of my clients ever complained, in fact it was quite the opposite. At the end of each appointment my clients expressed their thanks and gratefulness for the treatment they received.  As I don’t speak Spanish and many of my clients didn’t speak English this was often shown in the smiles they wore as they left.  I hope my smile expressed my appreciation of their patience and trust during our appointment.

Clinically, I feel as though my skills are improving each day.  I have been able to complete several clients here, some in just one appointment.  Sequencing and keeping my instruments sharp during debridement has really helped with this. However, I know that the most important thing we are doing here is not providing treatment but providing education.  Through our volunteer translators and Tanya we are able to provide our messages of the importance oral health and give our clients the tools they need to prevent disease and maintain health.

No comments:

Post a Comment