Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

A post from Meryl...

Giving back to communities that are in need has always been something that I have been passionate about, which is the number one reason why I chose to come on this field school in the first place. Dental hygiene services is not available in San Pancho, so to come here and bring this service to the people of this town has been amazing. 

After being here for a few weeks, I realize that most of us take our oral health for granted, but here the people are so grateful for the work that we provide for them. I don't want to take away from the great clients I’ve seen back at Camosun who appreciated my work, but here it’s a whole other vibe. It’s an amazing feeling to hear that everyone is so grateful for our work, but I’m equally as grateful just to be a part of the community and doing what I can to help.

Not only did the above indicate to me that I made the right choice in coming but also the improvement I’ve witnessed in my own clinical skills has been a huge indication that I made the right choice. Even after the first day working at the hospital I could see the change and after nine grueling days of debridement, I have definitely honed my skills and picked up my speed. Can I just say, hello private practice, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment